This morning, Kellie and I hosted our 4th segment with Park City TV's Mountain Morning Show! (you can catch the segment via PCTV's live stream here.)
Our monthly segments are aimed at promoting women in business and celebrating the many successful women in our community who own their own businesses.
For this month's show, we focused on how to start your own business. Many times you may have great ideas but don’t know what to do with them. We showcased three steps to get you started today. And, we also featured free services available from the Women’s Business Center, a program of the Salt Lake Chamber that can help you in all stages of your business. We meet with the WBC in prep work for our segment - they're AMAZING! The services they offer are so valuable, and the best part is it's free! Check out this previous blog post about our meeting.
Scroll down to view our tips on starting your business today! Wahoo!
Feel free to send us any questions or comments. We'll be sure to help as best we can.
K&K's 3 Steps to Start Your Own Business:
1. Business plan
- What are you going to sell or what service do you provide?
- How are you going to sell it/service?
- Why? How’s your product going to stand out? Why is this service needed?
- Know your customer – what do they like, who are they, how old are they, how do they spend income?
- How are you going to finance the business? Loans? Personal funds?
3. Register Business
- State of Utah makes it pretty easy – go to osbr.utah.gov – OSBR stands for one stop business registration.
- Set up an account and follow instructions based on what type of business your forming (LLC, s corp, c corp, non profit)
- Federal EIN number
3 Free Services Women’s Business Center Offers Entrepreneurs:
1. Jump Start Training
- First and third Wednesday of every month
2. One-on-One Consultation
Cash flow projections
- Mostly free/ minimal fee
- Professional experts
- Six Focus Areas: Finance, Sales/Marketing, Management, Gov. Procurement, International Trade, Business Planning, Social Media Strategy
- WBC meet with clients all over the state of Utah
- Consultations over the phone/ Skype options
- Hoping to expand to online training